Saturday, April 17, 2010

Paradox?

I used to be strong....i think.....

These days, I am easily defeated. My foundation that is supposedly being rebuilt is still so shaky. The demolition and construction seem to be going at a snails pace.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but why is it that one thing can just throw your whole world into a new dimension? Things have been thrown my way my whole life and then one curve ball knocks me on my @#!*% and puts me on what seems like the sidelines for months and months.

I've said the word "disorientated" many many times in the last year and a half. I'd like to believe that I'm finding more and more ground as the months go on.....but somedays, I still feel so lost. Still plagued with the questions
"am i worth it?"
"who am I?"
"am I beautiful?"
"am i enough?"
"what is my purpose?"
and probably the most plaguing question of them all: "am I chosen?"

The latest veggie thrown into my tossed salad is my new diagnosis. I have a rare swallowing disease called achalasia. It affects 1 out of every 100 000 people. it is a progressive disease that has no cure. I am trying to hold onto hope, faith like i used to, but it's like i forget how, or maybe I'm just tired of saying things like, "everything happens for a reason, there is a plan, god will heal me, take care of me, i praise you in this storm"........etc........

It's like i've been saying those things all my life. like the strong young christian woman that i am. But life really has beaten me down. I can't do it anymore. I'm completely spent. Maybe there's a few of you out there reading this that will say, "GREAT! Now she will surrender. Now God can be strong, becuase she's finally weak!"

Whatever that means. Parts of me hopes that God can step in more because I am admitting defeat, but parts of me is scared that I am really losing who I am meant to be. I WANT TO BE STRONG. I keep calling to the warrior in me......who seems to be so far in the distance, she is out of calling range.

I really am to the point that I don't care at all what people think of me anymore....which is really freeing! I'm not afraid to make mistakes anymore, and i don't have to worry about masks, or putting my best foot forward anymore. I think I'm sometimes putting my worst foot forward to see who will still walk with me through this.

I know I've changed. I've got a few more walls up, but yet a few less barriers. I have less fear of man, but yet an insecurity I've never had before. I've become more careful, and yet I'm more carefree. I'm not as legalistic and religious, but yet possibly leaning to far the other way.

I do choose hope. I choose life, as best as i know how. God, i know you can hear me. and i know you're there. I will continue to call out to you.
make all this into something beautiful.....including me.....

8 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

In another time and place this would be a psalm! He has made and continues to make you and somehow "all this" beautiful.
love you
Jenn

armacleod said...

I understand that feeling. Not to the same extent perhaps, but that feeling that everything is not alright, something is wrong and unbalanced and my world and I can't fathom how to get out from under that lostness or twisting chaos. Even those day's where you question God and say, "Do you even exist? Do you care?" But one thing I've been learning to do is to give Him His chance to answer back and do His thing.

Keep hanging in there Sarah, God loves you still.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I'm walking. Still here. And when you burst into a sprint, I'm hoping I can keep up.

More Of Me Is This said...

I love you care bear. I hear your heart and I say yes to all those things you question.
"am i worth it?"
"who am I?"
"am I beautiful?"
"am i enough?"
"what is my purpose?"
and probably the most plaguing question of them all: "am I chosen?"
And I will pray for you. (hug)

Kathleen's Blog said...

Hey Sarah,

I was listening to one of my playlist's on youtube and when this song came on I thought of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=3eLMr6ZUDQo&feature=PlayList&p=A97DA2B983657892&playnext_from=PL&index=2

I really wish I had some sort of encouraging word or something wise to say, but this song is all that comes to me.

Morgan said...

You are the strongest person I know. You never stop pushing, pulling, learning, trying and most of all LIVING! I'm happy to wear my walking shoes with you, but once you start running you're going to leave me in the dust. I'll by so happy to see you on the horizon.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Oh my friend. I get the feelings of how you have things in control or you are doing well and then one thing comes and knocks th bleeps out of you. I posted something to that effect this morning as I lay awake in the week hours of the morning trying to remind myself of the truth that God does indeed love me and that he's never forgotten me.
Thinking of you as you process this disease. One thing I do know is that God can make a way where this is no way. Listen to the song on my blog (Wonder Working God) and keep hoping and praying for your healing. He's done so much emotional healing in your life I trust he'll heal you physically too. Hugs. You are loved for you, who you are today!

Anonymous said...

Who you are makes a difference to me. I love you Sarah.
Nel