Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gravol addiction

I never would have thought that taking some gravol to help me sleep would catch up with me. It turns out that I'm having to gradually wean myself from it. The gravol was working well for me, giving me a deep sleep with no interruptions. With Joe's snoring and my "heartburn attacks" it was a great solution. I took two each night and woke up a bit groggy, but it wore off after a couple cups of coffee.
This went on for a month, till......Joe and I went to Regina last weekend for a marriage weekend and I forgot to bring it with me. Of course my sleep was a disaster, my heartburn was not good at all, but the worst of it was the next day, I was so nauseated. I had to take some gravol during the day.
I realized that my body depended on it when a week later, I ran out of gravol and the next day I was so incredibly nauseated! It was like I had rode the zipper all day and was ready to throw up. A gravol pill did eventually take that away, but it was crazy to think that my body was going through withdrawls :(
So this week I've been weaning myself half a tab at a time, pondering how easy we pop pills for quick fixes. I hope this experience will have me think twice before popping pills in the future.

Does anyone else have stories like this? Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am on some medication for OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and at the time that I started on them I was in a totally different place in my life. They seemed/seem to help which is good BUT I've noticed in times when i've forgotten to pick up my refill in time that I have some major unsettling symptoms. I don't feel ill, just really disjointed. Can't think straight, dizzy spells and sometimes i feel like my whole body is...vibrating? I don't know how else to describe it. So I am now on a journey to hopefully go off of them. I started by going off different pills I had been on longer for depression. I was a bit nervous but it has worked out perfectly. A bit of anxiety now and then but nothing I can't handle. So my next step is going to be the ones for OCD. We will see how it goes...i hate feeling like I HAVE to have them. It's a bit scary...

Nin said...

us Dunlop girls don't know how do do anything in moderation.
Like me taking codeine before my laser and getting stoned.
I took gravol every night for a month back in Feb, and didn't find that my stomach had withdrawals when I went off. But that was only one month.

Carebear said...

yeah, for me it was only a month too. I'm noticing that my body is getting "older" it can't handle things that i could do to it when i was younger :(

Anonymous said...

I sympathize...I don't want to say I have a "problem" with Gravol, but I might. I take if quite frequently, and it's usually in quantities of more than two *blush*. :( I find that when I take it everyday for about a week straight and then skip a night or two I start to get nauseous and have a terrible headache and heartburn. No fun at all. My boyfriend is monitoring my usage of it. I know I need to stop. It was interesting reading your post.