Thursday, April 20, 2006

Time to try some thing new and plant some corn!

Growing up, we never had a yard. We always lived in apartments, town houses and such. Our grass was always freshly mowed and walks shoveled. When Joe and I got married, we rented a duplex for the first year or two. Or yard was......pittiful. I had no idea where to start....
Our second home was also a duplex and we got a little more ambitious! I planted a 3 by 3 foot garden LOL
I planted, watched it grow, looked at the weeds that grew in the midst of it, then it all died in the fall without me touching it for the whole time.
The next year I planted about 3 strawberry plants and probably ate only 3 or 4 actual berries!
Then we moved to where we are now. What a nice yard! So I decided to officially start "gardening". My next one was still pitiful, but we ate at least some carrots, peas and some onions. The weeds were taller than the veggies....
3 years after that, I am feeling alot more confident in what I'm doing. I'm excited to start composting this year, and expect a great harvest.
This makes me think of actually walking with Jesus.
You learn by DOING.
You just keep trying and trying again.
Each year you push yourself into new and intimidating things you have learned but have never tried.
My sister said I should start a corn field. (which is funny becuase my "corn field" would consist of one row of corn. She said that then my kids could go and play in the "corn field"......
I just imagined them running through the one row......LOL
The other thing about this is our attitude.

It's important that we don't get overwhelmed with these new things and don't beat ourselves up when we don't do it like someone whose been doing it for 20 years!
It really takes time to master, but God doesn't care about mastering as much as our hearts and efforts to pushing through.

That's it for today
Blessings

11 comments:

Jenny said...

My parents weren't any kind of gardeners. They mowed their lawn but that was the extent of upkeep. We just bought our first home and I'm really eager to maintain and plant a garden. I don't know where to start...I don't even know what a weed looks like, but it is trial and error. I'll think of you when I go out and try to figure this garden out!!

Crystal said...

I love gardening too.....it's something that I find myself actually good at....but I hate weeding....but luckily I have kids that help me....thanks for sharing gardening is like our christian walk......that is a really good way to describe it!

Nin said...

good one.
it's been such a learning process for me, to set a goal, and reach it. It wasn't until I met my hubby that I started realizing that god actually wants us to set goals for ourselves, and work hard to reach them, and once we reach those, we set more. Huh, who would've ever thought we were supposed to work in this lifetime? lol
I think you are doing an amazing job in your yard. When we look at the yards that we came from, the jungle on Pinehouse, you'd think you'd follow the same footsteps. But you have broken yourself off from that, and walked in determination and perseverance. I'm so proud of you! I know mom and dad are too! I hope that one day I can have a great yard and garden like yours. (but I think I'll just start with my one veggie, and maybe one flower, we'll see how much the weeds take over)

andrew + camille said...

thank thank thank you for this encouragement!!i was looking at my yard last night and had this overwhelming urge to throw some dynamite into the flower beds and laugh madly! ha ha...but you are so right. i haven't done this for 20 years, i only just started gardening last year. and you're right - i've learned a few things and i've learnt them by making mistakes. thanks for your encouragement.

Trail Rider said...

awwwww. thanks guys. These bunch of comments made my day!

Jenny, I can totally understand how you feel. Just step out and you will do great. Good luck with your first garden!

Crystal, I totally want to see your garden and yard very soon! I can totally tell you have a green thumb...

Nin, sis, pal....
Thanks for being proud of me. Thanks for growing with me, thanks for walking it all with me,
thanks for just being you...
I can't wait for you to get your first yard. It will very likely be the one veggie and one flower, but they will be beautiful!
Love you

Camille, LOL LOL LOL
I totally heard your laugh in my head and saw you with my own eyes throwing that dynamite stick into your yard. I was totally amazed when we came over that day. Go easy on yourself, you are WAY ahead of of alot of us with only one year experience! We should get to gether in our yards this summer. Sit around doaking in the rays and make a fire in the evening.

Love you all
Thank you God for making all things beautiful!

Jenny said...

Sarah I did think of you today as I was walking around our yard and trying to figure out what was a weed or what wasn't. Isn't blogging amazing?? It's wonderful that in the middle of the afternoon, 2 provinces away, I would be wondering how your gardening was doing...and the kicker is, we've never met!!

Nin said...

yeah Sarah.... what is a weed and what isn't? hmmm....

Crystal said...

tag your it.....

Trail Rider said...

well considering that you convinced me to pull out very expensive perennials when we first moved in here, would tell me that YOU don't know....
but then again....
you did convince me to pull them out!
LOL

THACI said...

if you need any help or advise just yell, I would to help and I LOVE gardening (and that includes weed pulling, I do know the difference). This applies to you too camille

Trail Rider said...

thanks for the info S.O.!
I just may take you up on that.....
Now I have one more person that I can call if i have questions!