Friday, July 28, 2006

my niece


This morning I had the priveldge of taking my niece out for breakfast. Just her and I. I gave her the option of anywhere in the city to go for breakfast. She listed off a few of her favorites, "well, we could go to denny's where my mommy alicia worked, or the red rock...(the red rock is this dumpy old place on 22nd st.) I'm glad she picked denny's!

Her pancakes came with cherries and whipped cream and of course, I let her get a chocolate milk! I can't believe that I've waited this long to spend one on one time with her. I'm trying not to beat myself up about the past, but I'm glad that it's something I can start now. I guess for me and my sister, I've always had all the kids and she always had just one. But I'm very excited to start building a real close relationship with her...just one on one. I know that she knows I love her, and she sees me like everyday, but I want to be able to talk to her when she's going through preteen and teen stuff. I want her to feel like she can call me and say, "hey auntie, I really need to talk to you about something, can we go for coffee?" I desire to have all the doors open to speak into her life, and that only comes with many strings tied. I thank God that he can do anything with a willing heart to give and serve, and my niece is well worth the investments!
We talked about her 2 new sblings coming to the world in a month. We talked about her becoming my neighbour in a few weeks, about Caleb not being able to talk or walk, about my new baby and where it's going to sleep, and she learned how to play hang man at the restaurant...but she calls it "hang girl" LOL

May God bless our relationship and thank you for giving me such a wonderful niece, she really is a treat if you really get to know her!!!

7 comments:

Tanya said...

Thats awesome Sarah! I know how much that meant to your niece cause I remember doing the same thing with my aunt.

Luckily, I will be blessed with having my two nieces and one nephew out here next week. I'm so excited. I can't wait to show them where we live and to take them to the ocean.

Thanks for the reminder that we not only need to have a strong relationship with our own kids, but also the kids of our own siblings and friends.

Jenny said...

I think she's really blessed to have an Auntie like you to spend time with her!!! You're a blessing to many!

Nin said...

aw....
bless you :)
you're the best auntie she could ever ask for, ever....

Janelle said...

oh sarah! i am so inspired & challenged by you all the time...
you have 4 going on 5 kids, and you still have such a big heart that you find time & take your niece out for breakfast.
i doubt you even understand what that meant to that little girl - and the awesome relationship that HAS begun from it.
i am challenged to look deeper into my heart & find time to give some love to others - not always to those that are RIGHT in front of me. i waste so much time doing NOTHING instead of building relationships.
what a lucky girl to have you as an Auntie.

Crystal said...

I have had my niece and nephew here the last few days and there are such a blessing to me so I understand how you feel. It's great that you got to spend that time with her....she will remember that forever!
Blessings

andrew + camille said...

you're awesome!! don't know how you do it all!


just wanted to say that I really do like the words on the amanda marshall song, but the radio plays her stuff WAY too often and it drives me nuts! plus i just hate her music but mo0st of the time her lyrics are good, does that clarify it a bit?

luv u

Trail Rider said...

for sure! I know the radio over plays things to death! I think I've always liked her style. but I don't really know all her songs, but I like her bluesy voice and style.