Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Who wants to hear a lice story? (Caution....swear words in post)


Day one:
I'm drying Isaiah's hair before school....I see something move......I look.......it moves again, along with other things that are moving.....
My FIRST WORD: "SHIT!" I walk away from the child, stomping my foot into the floor, saying, "shit, shit shit!"
Walk towards the girl, in disbelief....I have to check again! This can't be happening!!!! More lice "SHIT!" (pounding my hand with a fist) again.....I walk away from the girl.
Phone my sister (she's on pickup for school) She answers,
"Hello?"

"SHIT!"
"WHAT!?"
"SHIT.......WE > HAVE > LICE!" ........
Nin responds...."shit..." (It's become the word of the day)
(Later I profusely apologize to my girl for swearing and reassure her that it's not her fault)
Look in Noah's head, more bugs! K, now I'm freaking out! and call Joe. "We are INFESTED with lice!"


Pull off ALL bedding, all blankets, all coats, all towels, all clothes, pretty much anything and everything you can wash and form the biggest, most largest mountain my laundry room has EVER seen! Start with NIX........Treat everyone in the family......the result? Still live bugs!
Buy a BIG jar of mayo and slop copious amounts of it and crown it with lovely saran wrap. Sit for 5 hours........with grease dripping down our necks, the kids can't take another minute........ STILL LIVE BUGS!!!!

DAY 2: K......need to do something desperate! SHAVE NOAH"S HEAD! There! He's done! The two younglins are clean. But Isaiah, I'm NOT going to shave her head. So Isaiah and I dye our hair! It seems like that worked! No more live bugs. YAAA! Spend 2 HOURS picking out about 20 eggs. Feel like we're getting somewhere.

Day 3: I'm doing the routine laundry. drying ALL bedding so that the heat kills anything. Vacuuming couches, floors and mattresses. Some people may think this is over kill...... Do the daily routine check on Isaiah, and find 2 eggs! Did I miss them? Cause I SWEAR, I picked them all out the day before...but I guess I missed them..... Go to the top of her head....A DAMN LIVE BUG!!!! Where the %$#@ did he come from? Did this bug hatch overnight and lay 2 eggs? How did this bug survive all this treatment? Did she pick it up from a couch? A bed....that was vacuumed?

Each day, everyone gets a pure tea tree oil head treatment. We leave it on for 30 minutes with a shower cap on to hopefully kill and prevent reinfestation. Go to nit pick Isaiah....and find 7 more eggs! Will this ever end? Did I MISS them? Or did a bug lay these eggs?
Over the next 2 days, I do find an egg here and there on Isaiah, but no bugs. on day 5....NO MORE EGGS!


Tomorrow marks the 7th day and hopefully the day of completion. Tomorrow we again all treat ourselves, just to be sure. Isaiah has taken this all in stride. All the sitting and picking and washing and losing all their dear stuffties....


Pondering on all this experience, I have never been on the other side of lice before. It's opened my eyes to a few things. I will share that in the next post.

7 comments:

Princess Warrior said...

We use mineral oil first than straight white vinegar. Burns like a banch, but works great.

Tanya said...

I'm itchy now...thanks;)

I am very thankful that we haven't had to experience this yet! My sister did with her daughter last year and she went balistic...so don't feel bad about your swearing, I think I'd do the same! My sister does not do well with bugs of almost any type...she actually had to call my mom to help her out because of how crazy she went...she was 37! Haha!

I'm glad that you got all those buggers...I will pray that they stay the heck away from you all!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

yikes!!! I'm so glad I've never had to deal with them yet and so so so hope I never do. But if I should ever have this situation, since you've already been there and are more experienced and all, I'm sure you will come help? right? anyone there? why do I hear a dead ring tone? ha,ha. love ya, hope your horror creatures are gone for good, like forever!

Nin said...

the girls look like aliens in those showers caps.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Ugh! Sorry you went through that. I had lice in grade 6...NOT fun!!! At first I thought you had short hair and said, that looks good on her. Than I realized it was a bag on your hair! :0)

Nelda said...

Good work Sarah!!! That must be the stuff of nightmares. I'll work a little harder to keep the bugs in my marrage in check from now on thanks to the openess and encouragement from your last two posts.
Nelda

Laurie said...

OH I hear ya!!!!!!!!! How is it all now!?

We managed to get rid of ours. I didn't swear right away, but when Rolland found one on me..... I just couldn't help myself (and I RARELY swear LOL).

Ours is all gone. I hope yours is too! No fun.