Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thought of the day

On Dr. Phil, there was a couple in serious need of help in their marriage. She was bawling her eyes out saying, "I'd do anything! I'd do anything for him! Help us!"

Dr. Phil hit the nail on the head with his reply......"You won't shut up.....you say you'd do anything for him, but you won't let things go....you won't shut up...."

He was right. We convince ourselves that we are walking a path righteously by lying to ourselves with phrases like this woman did. When really, we are doing the very opposite of what we are setting out to do.

Constantly dripping water on a rainy day is like a quarreling woman (proverbs 27:15)

It was eye opening. Sometimes in my marriage, I think I'm doing the right thing by bringing things up, but maybe it's not even something to battle over and maybe my mouth needs to just stay shut. Not to "settle" not to "compromise our marriage" But to honor and respect my husband. This is honoring to God. Pray for him instead. Love him, show him that you trust him, believe in him....like you did when you were dating.

In our Love and Respect class, something popped out super far for me this time. He said, "He will never be the man you want him to be" That hit me like a sharp knife because it pointed the finger right at me. KEEP YOUR HUSBAND UNDER GOD'S PLANS, NOT YOUR PLANS. It was very humbling.

Someday, we will function gloriously together, showing the world the beauty and mystery of how God gave His only son for the world. Joe would die for me and I follow him wherever he leads....

4 comments:

Lani - the flowerlady said...

enjoyed being here with you today! Need to hug you in real life sometime soon! I love to see what God is doing in you...it's beautiful.

Unknown said...

Hoooo, I was scared to leave that comment, but your honesty is so incredably challanging to me. That blog on prayer was supper enlightening, Wow!! I know He loves us and wants to work through us, but you have given me so much more to think about. I'd buy your book any day!!!
Yes, I do blog a little at:
http://rnk-nelda.blogspot.com/
A hearty welcome to a humble hutterite home! Nelda

Trev and Rebekah said...

Hummm great thoughts.

Anita said...

God has a way of stripping the blinders off our eyes, doesn't He? He has been challenging me in the same area. To my shame, I will be 50 years old soon and still do not have 100% victory over this area. I want Him to continue to teach me how to keep my mouth SHUT and honor my husband!
Anita from www.sonshine-musings.blogspot.com