Wednesday, February 15, 2006

a word of caution



I really feel led to just share what God's been teaching me.

God has torn the curtain in 2! HALLELUIA! He has chosen to live right inside of us. We have now become His temple. Our heart soul and body is His home. More and more God opens my eyes to show me the significance of taking care of HIS temple. Of being a good steward of what He has given me. All these years, I had it all wrong!!
I had it ALL BACKWARDS!
In our society, Satan has brainwashed us to a dangerous spot! Teens are getting sick and even dying from eating disorders! Wives have extremely low self esteem and depressed beacuse they are not air brushed by a computer. Everywhere we turn there is pressure to look like models, have wash board abs and not a single wrinkle, spot or stretch mark! (well, since most of us chose to have kids.....there's no hope for us ever having a normal stomach again!!!)

Who are we???????...................
Yes, yes, I know, we are children of God.....we are co heirs with Christ, we are the light of the world, we are being renewed day by day......yeah yeah yeah.....I know all that.........

No, but seriously......
Satan and OUR OWN EVIL DESIRES, are totally side tracking us. We are losing our focus. I see many many sisters around me jumping on the wagon to lose weight! AND THAT'S GREAT!
But I need to ask WHY?
To take care of your temple, or to boost our self image?
To honor God in obedience, or to look like the cover of a magazine?
To have no other gods before Him, or to feel like your "worth something" ?
Believe me people, I have to ask myself these questions everyday. I still have episodes of binging and purging. (they are becoming very few and farther between) but I just want you to know, I'm not perfect in this. I just want all us girls to stop and think for a second WHERE IS OUR HEARTS? WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVES?
I believe that when James said, "you don't get what you want because you will spend what you get on your OWN PLEASURES" It totally relates to us all going after weight loss.
Taking care of our temples is extremely spiritual! The more I get in shape, the more I under stand how I am a vessel. How I need strength and endurance for the work He has prepared IN ADVANCE for me to do. It was alot harder for me to serve God when I was out of breath and tired all the time. When I was always thinking of the next meal and not on God's work.

If you are on a journey to lose weight....please, I encourage you to go after God and change your heart. I know that if I don't fix my insides, my outsides will go right back to where I came from. I posted some pics in my last post to show you a PIECE of fruit. Not THE fruit.
I am of course telling all this to myself again......
I need to keep my eyes fixed on the author and perfector of my faith.
Otherwise, I'm toast.
God is moving. I see a call to greater strength and endurance. A call to purity of heart where God is all we need. Let's embrace it together and not let the enemy use our own weaknesses against us.

I love all of you! Tanya, crystal, jannelle, kim, tina, jenny..... and all my hopers! I love having you all in my life! Your encouragement means so much to me.!!!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

I have struggled with weight issues for the last few years. I told Tanya the other night that this is the first time that I have a peace and resolution within me. I have no desire to binge and I have willpower. My main reason to lose weight is for health reasons. I want to live a long and fulfilling life with my family.
Tanya has come into my life when I was seeking and searching. I believe that everything in life has happened for a reason. She is introducing me to Christianity when I was soul searching. As a result we have each other to act as comraderies in the battle of the bulge.
Thanks for your posts, I am no longer frightened!!

Tanya said...

Hi Sarah,

Well what can I say after that?

My "desire" to lose weight isn't to look "model perfect" or anything like that, cause I'm a very down to earth type of person and know that its just not my "reality". In the past and to this day, my weight has never been a huge issue for me. Do I like what I have become? No, of course not. But I have learned to love myself for what God made me and for the size He gave me.

I NEED to lose this weight, for not only my health, but for my mind, soul and spirit. I'm not taking this lightly. This past week has been very stressful for me and I didn't go to God with all that I should have...and I gained weight. I know how to do this. But like you said before, everyday we need to choose freedom and obedience...freedom from the things that hold us down and keep us away from God. I get it, but its going to take time, and its a day by day struggle, you know that, I know that, we all know that.

We all admire you and look to you for inspiration, I hope you realize that. You're what so many of us strive to be, not just "smaller" in size but "bigger" in the spirit as well. Its okay to take the compliments. With you being so honest about it, you may unknowingly lead someone to the Lord by what you have gone through, so let people compliment you, there are so many out there "dying" to be thin, by seeing your story they may choose to walk the way you did and will have gained so much more than weight loss success...they will have gained God.

This is the second time that I have truly ever tried to lose the weight. I'm not one to dwell on it and let it make me crazy. I never have been, but I now feel that I am called to go through this process of cleaning out the garbage that fills me up so I can make the room for God's "good stuff" to replace it.

I get it. I get what you're talking about and what you're saying to us all. Just know that I love you too. I love your honesty, your example of faith and your caring for me and everyone else out there. Take care.

Janelle said...

love you too!!!!

Nin said...

Amen sister. Thank you for being such an encouragement to so many! You're amazing! I love watching you heart grow and overflow with love and mercy for others who are where you were. You are walking in your destiny and building a testimony that will save many! Wow, how exciting! Thank you for being bold enough to give some correction, may we receieve it in love. Thank you for loving us enough to not leave us wondering blinded with wrong attitudes. What God has taught you is nothing short of a miracle, it's so amazing to watch someone's heart transform! Your humility, your honesty, the fruit in your life smells so sweet!!! Thank you for your word of caution, and your burning heart for women out there. I admit that I struggle with those wrong attitudes sometimes, thank you for loving me through, and being patient with me. Much love my sister!

Lani - the flowerlady said...

preach it sister! good on ya...While I am not on a weight loss thing at the moment I am cheering you on like crazy from over here cause I love seeing what God is doing in you and through you as you share your journey.

Trail Rider said...

just to clarify
I sure hope you didn't feel like I was pointing any fingers. I know my post was very direct and pointed in general, but I certainly wasn't pointing any fingers. My pastor always says that when you point a finger, there's always 3 pointing back at you. I was just asking questions in general to anyone who reads and mostly to myself. I feel these are questions God is asking us to think about.

So if you feel pointed at, just know that this post was flowing from a heart of desiring holiness, and that I do not judge. But I will challenge. As iron sharpens iron, so one sharpens another.
May God be with us all in our own walks
Blessings to all!

Crystal said...

Hi Sarah.......Wow......great post....it's amazing to me that God can work in you and work in me in similar ways......all at the same time....I love you too.....
Thanks for your comment on my site....I work at the confederation branch of Superstore....and usually I am there on Friday's and Saturday's during the day....obviously I am not there today but I am there tomorrow 9-6......I would love a visit....

Crystal said...

I don't have a till that I usually work at but since I am working a 9 a.m. look for me somewhere between till 1-7...that's usually where I end up when I work early .... I usually have my hair up and I will be on lunch from 1-2 so if you come around that time I will be upstairs...I will look for you tomorrow then.......I can hardly wait to meet you!

Tanya said...

We know that your heart is in the right place, we understand what your getting at, no worries.