Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A parable in running

In this journey, many of you know, I am learning much in the spiritual through the physical. As Nin and I are running, we talk about the parallels between the two roads.

Nin has been sick (pray as you feel led) but last night, she was determined to get back on track. Of course, we were both prepared for her to be slower and not as energetic. But as she's been on sick leave, I've been running my little heart out almost every night without her. Each day brings further ground, I run longer and recover quicker. It's been a blast! I bought this running music online. It's by crystal method and it's a 45 minute non stop, warm up, workout, and cool down song. Made especially for runners.
So nin comes back last night and obviously at a different pace than I am at. (there have been times where the roles have been reversed where I'm dragging and she's all pumped.)
But this was the lesson...
It's more important to wait and walk together than it is to run ahead and go alone. I wanted to run ahead so bad, but nin couldn't with her cough and all. My MP3 player died, and if it hadn't, I would have left her behind. It was God's way of showing me this lesson. That pressing forward is important and you have to do that as part of our walk with Christ, but was can't just leave those suffering in our dust trail.
All of us have it in us to help others, we all have friends in life that could use our company, time, energy, wisdom, patience, and a kind word. If we focus on our own progress too much we are living our lives out of balance. It was nice to just walk beside nin after she gave it her all (we ran 6 posts together) It threw her into a coughing fit, but she recovered nicely. Good job Nin!

When our church went through a "transformations" small group study, I was severely challenged to stretch my boundaries. To work on our own spiritual journey's and grow in deepening our relationship with God, but also it's equally important to help someone along in their walk with God. If you can have all 3 aspects in your life, you are destined to thrive!
- Someone discipling and teaching you (mentor)
- Someone walking with you (travelling buddies)
- Someone to disciple and teach

9 comments:

Monica said...

Wow, it sounds like you're doing great running! You were asking about my running: Roy and I usually go once or twice a week, and when I started I would alternate running 2 minutes/ walking 2 minutes. Then I moved up to 5/1, then 7/1. We were supposed to move up to 10/1 the week we were at the farm, but since I missed that week we're still at 7 minutes running/1 walking. We usually go for about 30 minutes. I really should go more often, but so far that's all we've been able to fit in. I suppose I could go by myself, but then I'd have to push the stroller, and it's way easier for me when Roy does! :)

How's the breastfeeding going? Is it getting any easier? We just passed the 9 month mark! So I'm trying hard to keep it up for a year.

Dianna said...

Way to go!! Wish I could be more motivated to go jogging everyday. I need to do that in more ways then one. So many reasons and not enough time to do it, isn't it terrible and sad the excuses we come up with to keep us from walking/jogging every day.
By the way, did you manage to check in on my blog yet? I e-mailed you back did you get it?

armacleod said...

Keep pressing on to the Goal that He has set before you. Keep up the good work.

Trail Rider said...

I honestly (no offense roy...) can't see Roy running!! LOL the Roy I knew growing up....haha in pictures, he looks all grown up...I mean really mature and all. I rememeber you from WCC. You were someone I looked up to. Even though I couldn't have actually followed the steps of GOOD influences around me.

So you and Roy go out and push the stroller? cool. I've thought about doing that with my 2 year old. She loves walks! What's that like? running with a stroller? I can only run to one song and then I'll walk some more really fast and then run again for another song. (with my MP3 player) It would be neat to do that with my hubby, but I think trucking my 4 kids along might be an issue LOL

Breastfeeding is up and down, right now we are doing well. 2 weeks ago, I thought I may have to switch her to bottle again. She would only nurse if I was laying in a quiet room laying down and she was laying down. she wouldn't nurse in public she would just cry at the breast. But I'm glad that she's content at the breast again. It seems I have lots of milk. I don't pump or use that funny tube (haven't for a month) so im very thankful to God for answering my prayer.
It must be hard to still murse and work heh? does your milk supply dwindle from that?

Nin said...

love this parable....makes me think alot

Nin said...

by the way Carol, that IS NOT US ;)

Kim Funk said...

I emailed you :) ....FINALLY... :)

Trev and Rebekah said...

I like the picture of the two girls. Reminds me of a time I was actually in a cross country runny event and was tripped up by a few girls. Then one girl came alongside me, grabbed my hand and blood was running on my knee, and ran with me the rest of the way.
I love how you are your sister are so sensitive to the Spirit.

Lani - the flowerlady said...

Good post girlie. Did you find your award on my blog?