Monday, September 13, 2010

My little faithfulness....in kindergarten.......

Ok, so I've never in my life, sent a child to school at the age of 5. Or even 6. My first child was almost 8 when she went to school and Noah was almost 10. It wasn't the prettiest circumstances when they went to school, but I knew it was coming and they were older! I probably forget already how hard that was, becuase all I can think of now is HOW HARD it is to have my little BABY in school now :(

So I have to tell you about my last week. Faith's first day of school was last Wednesday. Today is her 3rd day of school (she skips every other day) Her first day of school, I dropped her off and walked back to the car with a lone child in a stroller. I had to fight tears, thinking to myself, "c'mon! pull it together, you're being a drama queen about this! You've been looking forward to this forever!" But it hit me. My little faithfulness is in KINDERGARTEN........
I made myself busy that day. Taking my mind off of what was really happening. I don't think I was home that WHOLE day. I surrounded myself with people and things to do. Day one=complete

Day 2 was on Friday. I had to sit on myself to NOT go to the school. I asked faith as I was packing her lunch, "do you want mom to come see you at school today at lunch?" She said, "no, it's ok mom" "aw, are you sure? i could just come for a little bit" so for MY sake she said, "ok, mom if you want to....." (STAB) I determined after that hard day that I was GOING to see her on Monday for sure!

Today:
I'm so excited to go see Faith. I show up to see her sitting with her back towards me. She was eating so quietly and peacefully. I went up to her (fighting tears to see her so big and grown up) I asked her how her lunch was. All the other kids were looking at me, like I was some big elephant in the room. One kid said, "why are you here?" I said, defending myself, "to see Faith, I'm faith's mom" Faith's teacher was still in the room, so I thought I should ask her how Faith was doing. I got "the talk" from her. That Faith is fine and that I don't need to worry and to not come to the school too often if I can help it.......
After feeling a bit out of place, I decided to go see Isaiah. "come on sheesha! let's go see Isaiah!" On my way out the door, I tried to make eye contact with Faith to say by, but she was too busy eating and talking to her new friends.....so I left.
Get to Isaiah's class and she's so used to me at the school, that she isn't excited to see me, she's just like, "hey mom" and carries on talking with her friends. I try to get in on the convo, but it's obvious that it's a kid thing and not a mom thing. So feeling a bit rejected again, I say to sheesha "let's go see noah!!" (in my head I 'm thinking, he's always happy to see me) So we wander down the hall to the portables to see Noah.
As soon as I walk in the class, 3 or 4 kids are like,"Noah, you're mom's here...." they are apparently so used to seeing me. He's like, "oh hey mom" as he's packing up his lunch. I'm like, "where are you going?" He's like, "Oh, I'm to the cross country meet, see ya!" and he walks out!!
So here I am, in a desk, and sheesha's running around the room and my son just deserted me! K, maybe I am a crazy mom! But gotta go out with a bang right?
So I think to myself, Faith is probably done eating and is getting ready to go outside, lets' go back and see her one more time.......
By the time we walk to the other side of the school, I pass Isaiah in the hallway, and she doesn't even acknowledge me. She on her way outside and she talking about what they're all going to play. Finally back in Faith's classroom, she on the carpet, reading a book. So without making the same mistake twice, I sneak out with elishah and wait for her on the playground. As I'm out on the playground stalking all my children, Noah runs by, running his 2 k. My heart all swells up, and I'm so proud, so I yell out, "GOOD JOB NOAH!!!!!"
Sheesh, this is getting more and more pathetic as the story goes on I know......but it goes on :S
Finally Faith comes out and I'm so exicted to see her play, she laughing and running around all her friends. So I think its a great idea to ask her what her friends names are, so that we can talk about them later.......
So I approach a group of girls, laughing their heads off, including faith.....and realized, that I'd just better leave her alone. So I walk away......feeling sheepish.
I pushed Elishah on the swing for 5 minutes and then came home....
SIGH.......

4 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

You are a good mom who cares deeply about your kids! They are going to be okay. Their Heavenly Father will watch them.

Morgan said...

I know it's hard but they are flourishing. And you know why? Because you built them a strong foundation of love and faith. They will be just fine. And you will be too. It might just take a little longer :)

Nin said...

DITTO! to what Morgan said!!!
Well put Morgan! This has everything to do with all the seeds your planted and all the hard work you poured into to pounding away at that foundation ground.
I totally feel your pain. I went inSANE when Jonah went to Kindergarten. I remember Chris's uncle being like, yep, I remember that day like it was yesterday, and then, one day, I woke up, and was sending my daughter to university! I was like, DUDE! Don't tell me that!!!
But you know, I read through Ecclesiastes a while back, and it really hit me, to EMBRACE these seasons. Not look back and wish we were still in the "good old days". This season, of Faith in school, the older ones in school, and, the new seasons to come with you working and soon Sheesha..... are FILLED with many many blessings too. May God be very near to you as you grieve, showing you glimpses of what He has in store for you, and for them in this exciting new time.
Sigh.....I SO know what you're going through :S

Anonymous said...

So did you homeschool your other kids till they were ready to go to public school? Calvin and I are thinking about that...any tips?