Monday, June 05, 2006

A story about my son Noah




Lately I've been feeling at a loss for my son. Noah is going to be 7 in one week. Lately he's been going through some tough stuff. As all kids grow up, they make mistakes. and being human....they always find ways to minimize their sins. Just like adults (they probably learn it from us) they make excuses for what they did wrong. The problem with that is that you can never turn from your sin if you don't admit to it. By justifying it, your heart never changes. By blaming others, you can never have the freedom of repentance.

The last few months have become increasingly more difficult in this area with Noah. Each week, he gets more and more reasons to why he disobeys.

I've cryed out to the Lord regarding this many times. Praying for Noah and asking God to reveal any sin in my life as well. I knew that if I didn't get to his heart, no spank or consequence would matter. Last week, he actually slapped Isaiah in the face!!!!!! Warning bells flashed all around me. Sirens, horns and red flags! This child needs a break through in his spirit!!
God has been faithful once again to help us over come lies and reach into our hearts.
The bible is sharper than any two edged sword and it can penetrate any bone and fibre. It goes straight into the places that need surgery. My son recieved that today.
He was broken of a sin and cried for the seriousness of it. My heart wept for his pain, but was joyful becuase I could see him being set free.
(Of course, this is our walk with the Lord...)
There is a lie out there that says that "it's normal, don't worry about it" "kids will be kids"
Someone said to me today, earlier this morning that by the time Noah is a teenager, he will hate me!!!!!!!
WHAT???
Why do we curse our youth with such a life!
God has given me children that will rise up and call me blessed someday and that's a promise. If i train up my children in the way they should go....They will not depart from the way!
I will not accept that my children have to suffer the 'teenage curse of rebellion" We can get through this life wihtout having the enemy nearly taking out my family first.
THat's what happened to me and my sister. Our testimony....as exciting and amazing as it is.....came at a GREAT COST!!!!!!!! And we still talk about how we are reaping what we have sown years ago.

I want to believe God for more, trust him for more and ask him for more. I want to enjoy my kids when they are "little adults" (teens) I want to reap a harvest that will be glorious to the Kingdom of God!

6 comments:

Princess Warrior said...

Train up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it. I don't know who told you that Noah would hate you, but they are wrong. I agree with you that this is a lie and obviously the person who said that needs some deliverance from God. A mother who loves her child and disciplines while they are young will reap great benefits and treasures when they are older. Your former life which is now dead through the blood of Jesus cannot touch your children. Keep searching your heart and your son will continue to die to himself. I love you my Sarah.

Nin said...

wow, amen amen amen!
I hate that the enemy has blinded so many to think that having disrespectful rebellious kids is normal, and that's just the way the cookie crumbles (threw that in for you). What a rediculous lie! Who is our God then? If we can't have children that are raised up right, to respect, to have a godly character, to WANT to obey and follow after truth and righteousness?? If that's the case, then who is this Lord we follow, and what is His heart and purpose, His power and glory, His word that says, your children will be like sharp arrows shot into the kingdom of darkness. Anyways, you know everything I'm thinking about this. But man, thank you for sharing this, and sheding light on those lies. I love the pictures, it was like a series, Noah looks (for pretend I know) hard at first, and slowly becomes soft again at the end. That is the power of our Lord. When they showed that movie clip at church on Sunday, with all those kids saying that we made them go to church when they wanted to sleep in, and how we read them all these bible stories instead of letting them read their magazines, and how we made them listen to christian music instead of secular, and made them miss parties to go to youth group.....in the end, they said THANKS.
Amen to that, God is awesome.

Janelle said...

i love this post. i want to begin to have the positive outlook on my kids future as you do on yours. they DON'T have to go through all of the same garbage we did. I'm hoping that Kamryn will learn from alot of the mistakes I made, and not feel the need to repeat them. I want to fill her with so much love, acceptance & hope that she doesn't have to search for it elsewhere....
what a challenge.

Crystal said...

It's discouraging that someone would say those kinds of things to you about how Noah would hate you....I have had it said that the teenager stage is the most horrible stage but I refuse to accept that.......I believe that it will be the most wonderful stage of my kids lives.....it's all a matter of perspective....I love each stage my kids have gone through...some of them have been a challenge but it's the most exciting thing to grow up our children into adults......it's also a huge responsibility that I know that you take very seriously so take heart my dear.....God will Bless your desire to grow your children in the Lord.....Noah is a very normal little boy with a wonderful spirit!

Kim Funk said...

im in aww right now after reading your post thank you for this it has put some interesting knowledge/thoughts in my head....your so full of wisdom

Tina said...

Thanks for this. Though I know it doesn't equally compare, I struggle the same way with my nieces and nephews. I see sin in them and try to address it as such and get to their hearts as opposed to just punishing the behavior so much. I breaks my heart to think about what this sin could look like in 5 or 10 years if the Lord does not intervene. As the only believer in the family, my influence is (I feel) often outweighed. But I know God is bigger and will bless and honor the effort and multiply it. I know because of who he is that I don't have to resign myself to the "reality" that they are just doomed to become copies of their parents or stuck in sin. He intervened in my life and protected me from much and has changed me...and He can do it for them too. Continue to be faithful, to speak truth, to pray and I believe He will give you godly children who will one day rise up and call you blessed!