Friday, December 22, 2006

sung to the 12 days of christmas

On the first day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “Can you homeschool legally?”

On the second day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “Are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the third day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “Do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the fourth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “What about P.E., do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the fifth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “YOU ARE SO STRANGE! What about P.E., do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the sixth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “How long will you homeschool, YOU ARE S0 STRANGE, what about P.E. , do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the seventh day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “Look at what they’re missing, how long will you homeschool, YOU ARE SO STRANGE!, what about P.E., do you give them tests, are they socialized, do you homeschool legally?”

On the eighth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “Why do you do this, look at what they’re missing, how long will you homeschool, YOU ARE SO STRANGE, what about P.E. do you give them tests, are they socialized, do you homeschool legally?”

On the ninth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “They’ll miss the prom, why do you do this, look at what they’re missing, how long will you homeschool, YOU ARE SO STRANGE!, what about P.E. do you give them tests, are they socialized, do you homeschool legally?”

On the tenth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “What about graduation, they’ll miss the prom, why do you do this, look at what they’re missing, how long will you homeschool, YOU ARE SO STRANGE!, what about P.E., do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the eleventh day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “I could never do that, what about graduation, they’ll miss the prom, why do you do this, look at what they’re missing, how long will you homeschool, YOU ARE SO STRANGE, what about P.E., do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the twelfth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “Can they go to college, I could never do that, what about graduation, they’ll miss the prom, why do you do this, look at what they’re missing, how long will you homeschool, YOU ARE SO STRANGE, What about P.E., do you give them tests, are they socialized, can you homeschool legally?”

On the thirteenth day of homeschool I thoughtfully replied: “They Can go to college, yes you can do this, they can have graduation, we don’t like the prom, we do it cuz we like it, they are missing nothing, we’ll homeschool forever, WE ARE NOT STRANGE!, We give them P.E., and we give them tests, they are socialized, AND WE HOMESCHOOL LEGALLY!

On the fourteenth day of homeschool my neighbor said to me, “How can I get started, why didn’t you tell me, where do I buy curriculum, when is the next conference, WILL PEOPLE THINK WE’RE STRANGE? I think we can do this, if you will help us, we’ll join a sports team, and we’ll homeschool legally.

7 comments:

At Home With The Seitz Family said...

I'm not sure if you remember who I am, I think we actually went to school together at one point. I came across your blog while reading a friend of mines and I check in every so often. I have to say I admire your strength and courage and undying faith in the Lord. I really like the song you posted about homeschool. My husband and I have been thoroughly looking into homeschooling for our children. My daughter Emily is in grade 3 and is ready and willing. I am just worried that have a preschooler and a 4mth old that I might not be able to go through with it. If you don't mind me asking. ...how do you stay on top of the curriculum with all that you're going through?
Merry Christmas to you and your family...Carissa

Trail Rider said...

we aren't strict curriculum users. In this season, life is our classroom and the world their library.
We aren't doing our regular routine yet since Caleb has passed, but are looking forward to a fresh start in the new year. I needed this time to heal, grieve and not worry about school.
For information tho, we use Math U See for math, KONOS for unit studies and don't use any particular curriculum for reading.
We have found the book "managers of thier homes" by Steve and Teri Maxwell an amazing tool to get a schedule that works for us going. It's easy to use and easy to modify. I just haven't modified it since Caleb passed. I have to take him off and basically omit him off our daily list. Even tho he's already been off our daily routine, I just haven't been ready to"remove" him yet. But I guess over this christmas break, I should look at doing that....

What school did we go to together? How do you know me?

thanks for the comment. take care

At Home With The Seitz Family said...

Thank you for the info. So far what we've found out is that homeschool has far more benefits than public school.

I can't remember what highschool we went to together....it was either Holy Cross or Evan Hardy. I went to both. But ended up my last few years at Evan Hardy. Did you know a Wendy Kunkel?

Nin said...

that is such a funny song.
it's so true, people say all of those things, especially the "i could never do that" one
I've seen many people comment that one on your blog :P

Trail Rider said...

My time at hardy was a blurr. Didn't actually go to cross. I'm sorry I don't remember. I sometimes think I don't want to. It's funny, I am losing my memories of highschool and all the people I hung out with....which is just fine. I have those crazy moments locked in my brain for safe keeping, for a laugh every now and then.

There are pros and cons to both public school and homeschool. We chose to h/s becuase it was what we were hearing from God to do. if you can and feel called to, go for it! it's a blast. Some families just can't physically becuase they both work. Some kids do much better in school than at home. My son would not be one of those!

One of the things I do stand on firmly is not to put any child in school too early. By law, a child does not need to be in school until they are 7. I think that's a good age, it gives them a good foundation at home in their morals, values, and beliefs before they enter the peer world. If you can keep them home that long, i think that would help.
As far as your 4 month old, All kids thrive at home at that young tender age. I wouldn't worry, even if your baby is overly active or social.

take care

Amber said...

I'm sure you have heard all of those things - and much more - from people. I'm glad it works for you & your family! There are many appealing aspects to hsing!

Merry Christmas Sarah!!

Amber said...

ps - I'm back blogging again at underourtinroof.blogspot.com and so far I haven't made that one private...so come visit me! :)