Saturday, February 28, 2009

My 10 top food staples and 10 foods I like to treat with

1. Coffee. I was off coffee for a time, but my heartburn went away so every morning starts with 2 cups of hazelnut flavored coffee

2. Egg creations. Made with only egg whites. My favorite flavor is garden vegetable. Almost every morning I have these eggs with one slice of dry toast.

3. Hot salsa. It goes on pretty much everything I eat. Eggs, soup, pasta, salads, sandwiches, potatoes... It's a low calorie way to spruce up what I'm eating.

4. Green tea. Thanks to my sis nin, I make a whole pot of green tea in my coffee maker everyday. with two bags, I will drink that whole pot everyday. Sometimes I dilute it with water to get more H2O.

5. Veggies. I go through different phases of liking different ones. These days, it's colored peppers, asparagus, and broccoli. I've had spinach, romaine, even beet kicks. So glad that God made so many cool things for us to eat so we don't get bored!

6. Cottage cheese! A super healthy way to get some extra protien! And it tastes great too! I put it in yogurt, stirfry's, soups, on sandwiches, potatoes, salads.....well, kinda like salsa...

7. My protien powder. After a strength workout, nothing feels better than to feed your muscles what they want! no carbs, just all protien....hits the spot.

8. Go lean crunch! I LOVE that cereal! A good balance of protien and carbs, it's a great snack, if I'm feeling my sweet tooth rise up, a small bowl of this will totally curb it!

9. Tuna and salmon. A good, flavorful sandwich! I'm learning to even eat it without mayo!

10. BANANAS! A serving is actually only half. It's amazing what bananas will do for your body! It's a magic type of fuel. One whole banana can get you through 90 minutes of exersise! Within one day, I will eat a whole banana, by taking 3 or 4 bites of at each sitting.

Of course, excluding this last week of bad eating, this is how I've been eating for quite a while. I'm back on track now as of yesterday and back at the gym.

As a side note, I'd like to add a list of foods that I like to indulge in:

1. Popcorn! I used to make myself a big bowl of popcorn 4-5 times a week! and eat the whole bowl! Now I will make it 2-3 times a month as a treat for myself and eat only half a bowl.

2. Butter! I LOVE BUTTER! I never buy it though, cause I can't seem to use self discipline to use it once and a while and only use a little!

3. Chips! These are the one food that I CAN"T HAVE IN MY HOUSE....EVER! I will treat myself at social gatherings to a handful or two, but if the guests don't take the chips home, I will throw them out! Or I will eat the whole bag!

4. Mc Donalds fries! When I go to Mc D's, I will either get a grilled snack wrap with no sauce, or two chicken fajitas. One time out of every 10, I will order myself a fry. I do eat a few of my kids's tho each time!;)

5. Pizza. To me, pizza is a no no. It's loaded in a million calories and fat. IF I choose to eat pizza, it's only one piece, but i'm never full after one piece, so I'd rather just make myself something else!

6. BROWNIES! Man, I love Joe's homemade brownies! He makes them from scratch. This is another food that I'm not totally comfortable to have it in the house. I am starting to become more disciplined and just putting them out of sight and not touching them. This week, I would have eaten a pan to myself....well not a whole pan, but enough to make a bad dent!

7. Mashed potatoes. That's another food that you don't really get a whole lot of bang for your buck. I LOVE potatoes, but half a cup with gravy is the same as a cheeseburger! I'd rather choose the baked potato and put salsa on it. But once a while, I will have a little scoop.

8. CHEESE! OOO I love block cheese. One serving of cheese is 2 oz. it's two slices for one day. That's hard to do sometimes. I will skip it all together often becuase I don't like to only have 2 slices.

9. Wine. I rarely drink calories. But wine is worth it!

10. White bread. I really like the taste of white bread! I like the way it smells after you toast it and to have a white bread sandwich. But I rarely pick white bread. It's a treat when I do tho!

So what's your two lists?

4 comments:

Nin said...

RE:
#1: It's so funny how that's YOUR staple and not mine!
#2: YUCKINESS!
#3: Have you found a good HOT salsa? We buy hot but it's not even hot.
#4: Yumminess.
#5: Beets are sick.
#6: YUCKINESS.
#7: I forgot to put that on my list.
#8: teehee, I'm so sick of that.
#9: Yummmmmmmm, but WITH mayo.
#10: That's a good idea to eat one banana throughout the whole day.

RE:
#1: It's so funny how popcorn, a super healthy snack high in fiber, is now clasified as an "indulgence". That's awesome.
#2: Never got into that. Marg is just fine for me.
#3: Definately STILL my weakness.
#4: haha, you order yourself A FRY?
"and I'll have ONE fry please."
"one order of fries?"
"no no, ONE fry."
#5: Yeah we ordered it on Tuesday and there's still two pieces in the fridge. It's just not as good as it used to be.
#6: You and your sweet tooth.
#7: Baked potatoes are way yummier. But according to that thing I read, not healthy when bought from fastfood places!
#8: Yes me too. I used to eat SO much cheese until W.W. Yikes! Like three bites later......well, there goes my entire days points.
#9: I was going to put this on my staple list, but ran out of room. Who would've thought we would've grown up and become wine drinking adults.
#10: EWWWWWWWWW. White bread is glue.

#9:

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love salsa and BBQ sauce on everything. And cottage cheese...I can't stand it. It's a texture thing even though I know it's good for me.
Tuna is good and eat it with avocado slices and it takes the fish taste away.
I need to eat baked potatoes but I don't know which potatoes to use and I honestly don't recall ever making them and how to.

Anonymous said...

Loved some of your ideas of what you can eat with salsa and cot cheese, I'm working on a sugar and yeast free diet for 3 mon. to get my yeast count down. We make our own salsa and it is HHHHHHOT Nel

Anonymous said...

1. Coffee - love it and can't live without it
2. peppers and onions. I saute them and add them to just about everything
3. Milk. We go through 3-4 4L jugs a week.
4. Salmon. I love it and it's so good for you. Even my baby eats it.
5. Hot sauce/chipotle spice. I add it to my own food for extra kick.
6. Cottage Cheese. I eat in on my morning break at work every day.
7. Chicken. If we're not eating salmon it's probably chicken for diner.
8. Cereal. I love it and have it for breakfast every day. I steer clear of the sugary kinds, mostly eat Cheerios & Special K.
9. Tea. My husband and I both love non-caffeinated teas. Even my baby will sip a little w/some honey.
10. Bananas/Grapes. Quick and easy snack for me or my daughter.

SNACKS/CHEATS
1.popcorn.
2. Nachos. I try not to indulge too often.
3. Dark chocolate. I love having 1 square a day.
4. Wine. I love a glass of red wine to unwind with.
5. Chips. Like Sarah I CANNOT have them in my house.
6. I LOVE white garlic bread.
7. I love Bandera pizza bread w/Sante Fe sauce at Boston Pizza.
8. Roasted Garlic cloves on crackers w/soft cheese. Only indulge in this w/people who really love you because you stink!
9. Sparkling water. Always in my cupboard.
10. Hot chocolate. With marshmallow. The best on a cold winter day.


Morgan