Monday, March 17, 2008

my bulimia story part 8



After Noah, my journey to really loose weight begun. I started trying new diets and trying to learn more about losing weight. But I wasn't interested in a lifestyle change. I was looking for a quick fix. Over the next 5 years I tried the following:







The atkins diet

Harmful diet pills
Not eating

throwing up
juice fasting
the soup diets

even a vegan diet

and exersise.
It's been such a roller coaster of emotions, weight gain and loss, depression and mountain top experiences through it all. Never really getting to the root of my issues. At first, I had NO self control. Over time, I was learning to modify my behavior and "do" the "right things". This only lasted a very short time before my fleshly impulses would start screaming and I'd give in to "what I really wanted." This year, God has opened my eyes to so many things. All my life, I thought that sin was pleasure. That's where it was at! It was the cheese fries, the burgers with bacon, the chips and dip and brownies. I believed that this was what satisfies the soul. Even though I was walking with the Lord and I "knew" that this was wrong and that I should find all my satisfaction in God, my flesh didn't line up with what I knew I "should" do.

Our pastor just finished a teaching series on "lighting torches" What this means is that instead of trusting God, we light torches to help ourselves find our way. And most of the time you'd think that lighting a light in the dark would be a GOOD THING! But actually what you're doing is falling away from God and setting up your OWN SYSTEM. Before you know it, years go by and you are all wrapped up in lies. This is what happened to me. The bible is dead on when it says that the devil disguises himself as an ANGEL OF LIGHT!

For example: One of my "torches" was to eat all healthy food. This seems like an excellent idea! How could eating right be wrong??????? I would ONLY eat extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil, I wouldn't even eat healthy bread from the store! It had to be from my bread maker made with honey and olive oil. No margarine, no white anything, everything had to be organic. (our grocery bill was through the roof!) Organic whole wheat crackers at 5$ for a small box! Organic fruit, bottled water.....it goes on and on.......

It's all about your heart! this is all Jesus really says in the NT. Where's your heart? I had convinced myself that "I was OK" because I "did all these works" "see, look at ALL I'm DOING!" From the outside looking in, friends and family didn't understand why I wasn't loosing weight, since I "DOING" all the "right things" I even shared my frustration openly with many people hoping they would share in my self pity that I wasn't loosing any weight.

Behind closed doors was a different story......On the outside and in public, I was perfect! I never touched a chip or a sugary drink. But at home, my flesh would fall apart! I could only wear that face for so long. The moment I was alone, I would eat white bread with butter, koolaid, pizza, and chocolate chips, only to get rid of it all in the toilet. The first few years of this juggling of two people didn't bother so much. Becuase "I was TRYING" I guess I thought that the good would cancel out the bad.

.....
ALL the bargaining I've done with myself and God over the years.....
All the justifying of my sin, the exuses, the lying to myself and to God......

And all that time, I thought I was "doing the right thing"


Well, I believe this is the end of this post. God would have me stop here for now...... I thought I was going to write about my church, but I am trusting that God is leading me to write ea
ch part. So I guess I won't say what will come next cause I DON"T KNOW! :)

4 comments:

Nin said...

whoa dude.....
I love that you posted this in RAINBOW, the whole thing just OOZES of His faithfulness and promise to NEVER LEAVE US OR FORSAKE US.
The thing thats been on my mind lots is that God loves us too much to leave us where we are, but at the very same time, He loves us uncondionally right where we are.
Bless you sis :) *hugs*

Nin said...

I just wanted to thank you again for coming with me today.....
I know it made all the difference.
Thank you for loving me and pushing me. I love you, lots and lots and lots and lots, and have really enjoyed the time spent with me over the last few days.
You've been a blessing and encouragment in this crazy journey I'm on right now, and I've appreciated every bit of you lately, so blessed to call you my sis.

Unknown said...

I really identified with so much you said in this post. it made me think of all of my past efforts and failures, and really see why I failed each time: I set up my own system and fell away from God. Even in those times that HE began the good work in me...I somehow came to think I had to complete it and then I was just done. Thank God He doesn't let us stay done, huh?

Love you,
t

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love it that you are being lead by the Spirit.