Monday, March 10, 2008

My bulimia story part 5

part one
part two
part three
part four

Fresh out of a nice glass bubble, into the real world of old friends, a new school and a new heart. Hoping and trusting that God will provide new friends and strength for me to stay clean and sober. At my new high school, I heard about a christian prayer group that met at lunch. So I went. There, I met Joe. He also was on a mission to stay on the straight and narrow. He had strayed from God's path as well.
I wish that I could say that we both turned to the Lord and followed Him at this point, but we didn't. I was deperately trying to stay away from old contacts and not having a clue how to find my own self worth WITHOUT a guy in my life, I clung to Joe....until my first relapse.

I broke Joe's heart, over and over. He would come pick me up at parties and nurse me back to health hoping to hear that I would never do drugs again. Week after week of empty promises, he cracked. He broke up with me. He was gone. Here was someone that actually cared for me and I messed it up bad.

Alone once again, all I had were friends that weren't friends and a cheap high that didn't last. What was I doing??????

On November 16 1995, I got clean for good. Never touched another drug or another drink. I came to a place that I wanted freedom FOR ME, not for Joe, not for my parents, but for me. I had to let Joe go. Never knowing if he would come back. But in time, Joe saw that I was serious. He could tell that I was staying clean for me and not just trying to get him back.

Joe came back....


I guess this is kinda turning out to be my life story.......
That's okay. I am finding this very healing for me to reflect and see how far God has brought us.
It's kinda hard to only write about my food issues without sharing the rest. So many of the reasons I developed such a stronghold with food were the reasons I am writing about.

Continually choosing the wrong path causes a train wreck of consequences! I know that some of you out there may have not "dabbled" in drugs, or had premarital sex, and think that "your story" is "boring". May I ENCOURAGE you that you are SAVING YOURSELF A TON OF PAIN! You don't need to lay down in shit and roll around in it to testify that it stinks.
Everyone knows shit stinks.

I know that God wants to use my story to share God's forgiveness, God's healing and saving grace, Here I am almost 30 and have been wrapped up in such a mess, spending my youth trying to detangle myself out of satan's chains. That is NOT God's plan for His kids!!! I pray for those that are reading my story to say, "MAN! DON"T DO WHAT SHE DID!!!!!"
and that others that have messed up like me to say, "MAN! God CAN heal, and CAN deliver!!! IF there's hope for her, surely God's plans for me are for hope and for good!"


to come next......marriage, baby and alot of eating!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a powerful story my friend!
You are loved!
Blessings

Nin said...

did you just say shit?

Trail Rider said...

I totally totally knew you were going to say that!! The exact wording,

I knew....crazy.....

By the way, no I didn't say it, I wrote it....;)

Nin said...

lol.....yeah I knew you knew I would say that.
So now that that's out of the way....
am so with you on that paragraph about people who think their testimony is 'boring', or that what they have to say isn't worth saying because they haven't "experienced enough".....what a complete lie from the enemy.
remembering how you were in that apartment on 7th when you were pregnant with Caleb....and Cheese Toast.....man, God is so good.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

was there someone specific that happened that day that made you never go back? My husband struggled with depression before we married and got fed up over it. He got prayed over and realized later that he'd been totally delivered of it. At times he can still feel it trying to get a hold of him, but it's like a normal thing of life that everyone deals with, not a strangle hold.

Trail Rider said...

about your question,
"was there someone specific that happened that day that made you never go back?"

I'mgoing to assume that you meant "something" instead of someone....

Surrender is the word that I remember from that day that I decided to stay clean for good. I was bawling my eyes out in my room realizing the harsh reality that Joe may never come back.

My thoughts went this way, "Joe's never coming back. Now what? I can continue in this road of pain and suffering or I can move forward and grab hold of the hope offered to me by God that He will take care of me"

More and more, I think I truly understand this TRUTH now more than ever
IT"S ALL ABOUT CHOICE

I hear you when you shared about your hubby. It sounds like he also DECIDED that he was going to take charge of the lie and believe the truth. The enemy wants us to believe that we don't have a say, that our struggles are just too big. And after suffering with an addiction, or depression, or a stronghold of sin in your life for a long time, the devil really feeds those lies of discouragement and hopelessness and helplessness.

I'm happy to hear that your hubby has walked free from the lie of "there is no hope" God IS GOOD

Trev and Rebekah said...

I'm still hear listening. I love your heart, your honesty, your passion for Jesus and I love how God is using you.

Jenny said...

I love your posts!! The honesty, the rawness of emotions...thanks so much for sharing Sarah!!!

Lani - the flowerlady said...

Hey chickie,

Just catching up with you. Love you lots!

Blessings.

-Me- said...

still reading; this is an amazing story! Can't wait to read the next part. God has brought you a long way, thats awesome!!! Btw, love the new look of the blog!