Friday, February 29, 2008

My bulemia story Part 2


I've been pondering my story and "part one" I've realized very definitely that this isn't about my problem with throwing up my food...
This is the story of my addiction TO FOOD. It started LONG before I first threw up my food. It started as a child, in school.

Coming home after another day of teasing and "girl abuse", there was only one thing that could make me feel better.....a big yummy snack. These were the years that developed a strong EMOTIONAL tie to food. I was solidifying pain and hurt with consoling myself with rich tastes on my tongue. I often ran into a problem. My stomach could only handle so much volume. If I wasn't emotionally done eating, my stomach was! So I remember feeling even more empty after my snacks. There was no more room to eat, so I developed strange eating habits, like licking a handful of parmasan cheese, just to keep tastes washing over my tongue. Spoonfuls of peanut butter, even munching on uncooked spaghetti sticks! As long as my mouth was happy, I was "somewhat happy".

Before I started running away from home and experimenting with drugs, food was it. I was 8,9 10 years old and going to open the fridge every few minutes. Looking at the same things on the shelves, hoping there will somthing else there to satisfy me. Opening the cupboards over and over only to find that it hasn't changed since 5 minutes ago.

When I would go for sleepovers, I would wonder why my other friends didn't care about the snack foods. The bowls of chips would just sit there, untouched....when that was all I could think about. Having some social skills, I knew that to obsess over the snacks in front of them would set me apart. I remember sleeping over at my good friend Morgan's house and I would often stay for supper. Her normal family would serve ONE pizza for the whole family!!!!!!! Morgan would pleasantly eat her one piece...sometimes two and then peaceful and satsified would leave the table. It was gut wrenching having to pretend that one or two pieces were enough for me! I was still STARVING!!!! All I would think about is the movie snack that would be coming in a few hours. The big famous brown bowl of popcorn!!!

One time, when I was around 10, we stayed at my parents friends in Edmonton. They were our pastors and had been key influences in my parents lives. I stayed with them for about a week. On my last day, I was horrified and totally embarrased to have been caught with about a dozen fudge bar wrappers under my bed! Every night in the middle of the night, I would sneak into their freezer and take 2 sometimes 3 ice cream fudge bars and eat them and stuff the wrapper under my bed. This habit of eating in the middle of the night was formed for a couple of years already, I had trained my body to need regular sugar highs every few hours!!! My body was very addicted to sugar.

Surprisingly, I actually never had a weight problem as a child. I was average build and still quite active. My weight didn't actually become a problem until I had my first child.

BUT GOD.... was there through it all. An encouraging word given to me, "It is the Lord that builds our testimony"
This story WILL bring glory and honor to God. This is for Him, I will choose to use my story to help others in the same painful bondage......

3 comments:

Nin said...

was blessed to get a sneak preview of this. am loving hearing and seeing all that God has done, even though I know this story, there are so many parts I've forgotten, and it's good to be reminded where we've all come from, and all He done.
Am loving being on this road with you. Not the exact same road, but a road seeking after the heart of God, learning to know Him more, love Him more, love ourselves as is....
You've been the most amazing travelling buddy. Who would have thought..... when I look back to all we've been through together, all we've walked through, I'm SO blessed to have you. Through thick and thin, through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered.....Yeah, had to throw that in.
Love you sis, couldn't imagine life without you as a role-model, a shoulder, an ear, my sister and friend....and laugh attack companion.
In the words of Kip, peace out.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I have been captured by your story. Of course, I was there sort of around anyways during some of that. I totally remember you as you are in the "old" pictures- but didn't know what all was going on in your head and heart. I always say you as so beautiful- looking like an angel, but I knew that you were hurting somehow. I didn't know what from, or how or how deeply, or how to help. I'm glad the Lord knew that all along and has helped you turn your ashes into riches. Even with your sharing your story and the pain, I will always see you as beautiful, then and now. And even more so, as you have learned the art of freeing transparency- a refreshing and needed aspect in the body of Christ.

Trev and Rebekah said...

God does build our testimony. I believe that we have the stories we do we can comfort and walk alongside others. 2 Cor. 1:3-5 I believe.