Friday, February 08, 2008

A satisfied heart pt 2

living a life of behavior modification

There are pleanty of self-help products around that promise to give you practical ways to change your behavior and enjoy a great life and successful relationships. They require a lot of self-implementation and will work, but they are all about behavior modification.


As long as you work the system you feel pretty good. You begin to gain a great amount of identity and success and fulfillment from your accomplishments! Unfortunately, these methods work only as long as you discipline yourself to perform and to remember the to-do list!

What's exalted and put on the pedestal is self.....the same self that comes crashing down when you forget or fail to perform!

You become self-judging because you have wrapped your identity and worth in what you have been able to accomplish.

2 comments:

Nin said...

this puts a lot into perspective, and makes me really take a good look at myself....
This book sounds JAM PACKED FULL of truth. The kind that you would need to read one paragraph over and over just to let it sink in....or is it just me?
by the way, I forgot to ask earlier, but can I borrow your love languages book? or are you using it for group?

Trail Rider said...

we haven't started using that book yet....so sure, until we need it. how long do you think you'll need it? not that i have a time frame in mind

yes, this book is very solid and filling. I am still slowly digesting chapter one. At the end of the chapter it has some hard questions for you to answer about the condition of your heart.

God has been good and faithful at answering so many of my questions and doubts.

I wonder if anyone else out there is really chewing on this as much as me....sometimes when God takes you through stuff, it's just for you. that's okay too, my blog is like a journal for me...