Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Breast feeding has come to a sad end


Grieving the loss of feeding my baby has been tough. The week before the wedding, I dried up.
(Caleb was unable to nurse due to his severe CP)
Child #1: Noah....I dried up at 4 months
Child #2: Isaiah...By 3 and a half months, we were on the bottle
Child #3: Faith...I was able to breastfeed her till she was 7 months old!

I thought that the problem with my first two kids were due to the birth control pill. Since I wasn't on the pill with Faith, I thought that I'd found the root of the problem. I came into the newest #4th baby with high hopes and dreams. I had a beautiful picture of me nursing my one year old, going from breast to cup. Something I've never experienced before. This was a huge let down to find out that the inevitable was taking place. Powerless to stop it, I feel so so sad.
Feeding a foreign substance into my tiny little helpless baby has not been easy. I've finally been able to put words to how I'm feeling about this.

There is a nuturing mother in me, given by God to want to love, nuture and give to my little babies. I feel that a part of this has been taken from me. The chance to be able to pour my all into my helpless ones is very important to me.

I know this may seem silly to some, and that's okay. I am okay with my strong desire to want to mother and nuture my babies. There's nothing funny or strange about it. It's just the way God made me.

Now after all that is said, I deep down trust that God knows best. That He is the giver and the taker. I feel blessed to have been given the chance to nurse them at least this far. I also know that God blesses me to grieve. So I will grieve......grieve the loss of a BIG DREAM.....and place it in the hands of the dream giver.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

It's been so long.....sorry I haven't commented in a while!

Sorry to hear you are greiving. I haven't had a similar situation......but I kind of know the longing for nurturing the "natural" way. My first baby girl didn't nurse. I struggled for more than the first 6 weeks of her life....."fighting" her to nurse, trying soooo many different methods.....and I struggled with being sort of angry with God.....because why would such a natural thing, not happen! I finally let it go.....and it felt better. But I kind of understand....praying for you......and just know your sweet baby girl, will be just fine.....and you will still cuddle and bond, with a bottle!

Thinking of ya! You are an awesome mom, so don't be too hard on yourself!

We are packing, packing, packing....getting ready to move to Regina on the 28th.....hopefully I will be in touch more than I have!

Nin said...

May God fill you with peace in this time of grief. Be blessed to grieve, find rest in your dream giver. Love you.....Elishah is blessed. :) am here for whatever.
Commented on your last post by the way.

forgiven4this said...

I am sorry to hear that you feel that way....but it's alright to grieve. You have done such an amazing job so far. You are raising the most beautiful children..... anyway rest in the fact that God is proud of you...and loves you.

Blessings

Jenny said...

Hey Sarah I can totally relate. I was only able to breastfeed my second son for 4.5 weeks...and that was feeding every 2 hours. I had a hormonal problem that resulted in me not producing milk...we tried pills, you name it.
In the end my mom hit the button by saying, "all that should matter is that your baby is getting food..."but I still felt a bit sad.
Another good thing...TMI for some,but oh well, I'll share...my boobies didn't droop.
Have a great day!

Lani - the flowerlady said...

{{{{{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

Drea said...

I think any woman who tries to breastfeed deserves a reward.. because its not easy. So I commend you for doing it with all 3! It hasnt work for me w/ my 1st two... I hope the 3rd time is the charm...

Crystal said...

Well I can relate...with both of my kids my milk just disappeared...and it was so sad but the reward in it was that they started sleeping longer at night...yay for me! I also got a visual when you said that you chewed on your toe nails.....let's just say I need a new image in my brain! LOL
Hey I registered your kids(Noah & Isaiah) for kid's kapers this week...I am sure you kids will love it!
Miss you my friend!