Monday, July 18, 2005

Is He worthy?



It is by no coincidence that I read of Abraham being asked to sacrifice his only son today. Our family went out to the Waldherr farm this weekend in Churchbridge. It was their centennial celebration. I love going out there and trying to imagine what it would be like to live without the city...but I'll get to the point.

God and I had many conversations about my fear of losing my children. Joe's dad has his pilot's liscence and has a plane out there that he loves taking my children up for small flights. But this time, I was gripped with fear. Thinking of Keith Green's story. Imagining half of my family taken from me. Both times we attempted at flying, it started to rain and we weren't able to fly. I wondered if the fear had a good reason and God stopped the flights, or if I was doubting my God taking care of us again.

Whatever the reason for the rain, isn't the point. Whether it rained or not, do I have faith that He is taking care of us? I don't think I do. Even driving from Churchbridge to the farm (a 20 minute drive on gravel) I was afraid of letting my kids go in my father-in-law's jeep. The way up and the way home, afraid of passing on the highway...

Through all this, what is God saying to me? Our talks were intense throughout the trip. Whenever you are dealing with those you love most...YOUR CHILDREN...it is always intense! Do I truly trust that God knows what's best? Our human minds only know in part, only a bit of the big picture. Take Caleb for a huge example. Is Caleb's disability what's best? In my mind's eye, somedays it's not! But God knows. His plan for our lives is being fulfilled through the trials of Caleb. I don't understand them all now, but someday, in heaven, I will! When Keith Green and two of his kids were taken in that plane crash, was that for the best? Not in the eyes of his wife, Melody, left with one daughter and pregnant with a child. But if you've ever seen the documentary that she did 20 years after the crash, she would have a different opinion. We are here to give him glory and to make him known. We are here to live a life that's dedicated to love him. For all that He's done for us, out of that great heart of thankfulness, we worship Him. The word is very clear on WHO OUR FATHER IS.

Perfect in power
Perfect in love
Perfect in faithfulness
Perfect in justice
Perfect in peace
Perfect in patience
Perfect in compassion
Perfect in mercy and grace
Perfect in judgement
PERFECT IN ALL HIS WAYS.....HE IS WORTHY

What does that mean? He is worthy? What is he worthy of? He was worthy enough to Abraham to bind up his own son and raise a blade to slay him! He was worthy enough to Noah give up his whole life to build a boat in the middle of a drought season while being tested day in and day out with riddicule! He was worthy enough to Gideon when He went out with a handful of men to fight a crazy amount of enemies. These men of faith KNEW that God was in control. They knew that GOD KNOWS BEST!

The sermon on laying your life down (3 or 4 weeks ago, which I missed most of it). My ears heard bits and pieces of it, but my spirit was screaming inside to lay it ALL down. My spirit knew that God is calling us to a greater depth of walk. When Terry said the road is becoming more and more defined, that has been echoing ever since. It's true! The road really is narrowing. Each day is a greater call.

Is He worthy enough for us? How you live will answer that question. If there's fear gripping you, rebuke the darn thing and lay your life down, He will give you REST and PEACE. (Of course, I am talking to myself...;))

Agree with me in prayer

God, we don't want to bow to our fears any longer. You are taking us as a body to live a life that is 100% yours. Dreams, goals, plans...all of it, lay it down. Today we choose to lay these things down and KNOW that your plans are to not harm us and they are for good. We choose to stand on who you are. You are the perfect daddy, and also the perfect consuming fire to be feared. I want to lay my kids down and stop trying to hold on to them with my little fingers! How on earth am I going to grip on to 4 children with my little wimpy arms? I'm sorry for trying! I'm am sorry for thinking that my arms could somehow be better than the everlasting arms. God, do what you need to do to lessen us and increase you. I know that my family in the body of hope would agree with me if I said that we welcome the fire, the desert, the trials, the tribulations...(our flesh screams NOOOO!) but our spirits say YES!!!

Yes to you and YOUR PLANS not ours...

5 comments:

Nin said...

It's interesting that durring worship on Sunday morning, the theme was that He is worthy. And we meditated on that one truth for a while. I can totally relate to not wanting to give your children over into His hands. Like as if we think we know whats best? Sheesh.... Thank God for His grace and mercy in us. Hope you had lots of fun at the farm!

Trail Rider said...

Sometimes when I miss church, I am sad because I think that I may have missed something. If I hear that there was an amazing move of God, I get disapointed that I missed it. But God has really grown me in this area. I know that I am included in our body blessings. I know that when He moves in my family...I am part of that family. One time, about 2 years ago, There was a huge alter call and I missed it for some reason. So I was so grieved that I missed it that I went outside and cried and cried thinking that I "missed something"
Now I know that God won't leave me behind. What He does with the whole body, He will do right here in my home. You serve that same God as I!!!!

So thank you for that confirmation that He is all showing us the same things. Corporate moves are always exciting to watch and be a part of!!!

BayouMaMa said...

Good Morning from the bayou! Thank you for stopping by my blog...I've been on a "journey" so to speak. If you start at the July archives, it happens to be "Day 1." I'm really striving for a haven of hospilitality for my family and friends.

Well, I stopped by to meet you...and had a morning devotion right here. :-) Your Words have moved me. I prayed yesterday for God to "do something" in me...dealing with a little bit of fatigue/depression the last few days...and He was silent (or maybe the noise all around me, drowned Him out). But He spoke to me here...this morning. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It's been a pleasure...and I'll be back. :-)

Sue said...

Thanks for the journey you took in those few words, and for taking us along. I remember the moment when I gave my daughter to Jesus. I cried and cried at the thought of giving her up, but I knew if I held on to her, she'd become my "Isaac," and I knew God didn't want that for me. He will always ask us to give up our "Isaacs." Since I gave her to Him, my life has been much more full of peace, and she has since come to know the Lord, as well. Praise Him!

Trail Rider said...

I wish for me it was a one time "giving up" but it's a daily walk for me.....Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
Blessings