Tuesday, August 23, 2005

why obey?


My sis and I were talking about obeying the other day. And some different reasons to do it. All day today, I've been faced with various temptations and a choice. I've always loved that verse that God promises us a way out so we can stand up under it. (1 Cor. 10:13) His voice is usually the quiet one that is hard to hear sometimes. And sometimes, you can't hear it at all due to drowning it out for so long, you have forgotten the sound of the shepard's voice.

Why do we obey? My sis was decribing this unbelievable worship this one day and later in the day, had to make a choice. She chose to obey. Why? She didn't want to loose the prescence of God in her life. The unspeakable joy that comes through lifting Him up and declaring all that He is, is amazing! She knew that if she were to chose to sin, the joy that comes from walking the road of suffering would dissapate.
I've been chosing to obey in this walk with food. Why? My reasons aren't for any feeling, but just cause he plain told me to. Satan often tempts me with the "pleasures of the flesh", and all that "FEELS good..." I'm sure satan doesn't have as much to do with it as we think he does. Our flesh is pretty strong...Mine is very strong.
I am reading a book called, "who you are when no one's looking" Courage is a character trait that is not found easily these days. People are in it for the easy way out, for the quick fix. Why go to the root and go through humilitating pain and embarrasment, when you can perfect a way to look good on the outside? Yep, that's our society. When I think of courage, I think of saving someone's life, running out someone from a burning building, diving in below freezing water to rescue a child. But these stories are once in a lifetime happenings that might not even happen to us at all. This is what I read today in my book.

"Every single day we make choices that show wherther we are courageous or cowardly. We choose between the right thing and the conveninent thing, sicking to a conviction or caving in for the sake of comfort, greed or approval. We choose either to take a carefully thought out risk or to crawl in to a shrinking shell of false safety, security and inactivity. We choose either to believe in God and trust him, even though we do not always understand his ways, or to second guess him and cower in corners of doubt and fear. These choices come our way every day, rapid fire. We face them so frequently that we forget that we are even making them, and we sometimes find ourselves going with the flow instead of carefully making courageous choices. It takes courage to become a christian and even more to BE a christian..."

I was very challenged and encouraged with this. Be blessed today and stay on that road of suffering whatever the cost!! Now is the most important time to stay obedient, cause these are the character buiding moments. Anyone can do good when it's easy! Anyone can make the right choice when they wanted go that way anyway! God is good and He wants only the best for us!

7 comments:

Sue said...

Great thoughts. Thanks for that. I loved that you made a distinction between becoming a Christian and being a Christian. Amen to that. St. Augustine of Hippo said "Love God and do what you want." With a perfect love, our desires would be His desires, our actions would fulfil His will. The more in love with Him we become, the more obedience comes naturally. Fall madly, head-over-heals in love with the Lord and watch the work He does in you. You said that as good as can be said. Grace and Peace - Sue

andrew + camille said...

I will wait for you, Jesus
You're the son in my horizon
All my hopes in you, Jesus
I can see you now arising
(repeat)

There's a wall that stands in front of me
That I know I just can't climb
And like an eagle you will carry me
Its just a matter of the time

I will wait for you, Jesus
You're the son in my horizon
All my hopes in you, Jesus
I can see you now arising

Evil armies all around me

I believe in the word that promises me
So I will wait another day

I will wait for you, Jesus
You're the son in my horizon
All my hopes in you, Jesus
I can see you now arising
(repeat)

I will wait for you
Oh I will wait for you
Oh the doubt may try to come in
The disillusions may try to come in

I believe oh Lord (x3)
In the word that you promised (x3)
I believe it will not end
I believe it will not go

I will wait for you, Jesus
You're the son in my horizon
All my hopes in you, Jesus
I can see you now arising




I was taking a walk last night and listening to Jason Upton’s “Faith”…
This song, “I Will Wait” really struck a chord with me, and I wanted to share the encouraging words with you. Carebear, I especially thought of you when I was listening. If you want to borrow the CD, I will get it to you.

I agree – I don’t think we would click as much if we didn’t have this whole blogging world. It’s been awesome to get to know you and “Firestarter” better. I love your openness and willingness to be real. It truly is pushing me to pursue a closer and more authentic walk with Him. Thank you.
Yah – and let’s get together soon… Dunno when but soon!

Nin said...

why is your thingy way at the bottom again?

Lani - the flowerlady said...

Those are very convicting thoughts. In this whole house adventure I've given way to alot of fear and doubt, not believing the word of the Lord to me, listening to my flesh and the lies of the enemy. Thanks for writing all that. Courage. Peace be with you.

Lani - the flowerlady said...

Just came across this on "A Circle of Quiet"

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Tina said...

Thanks for asking that Nin...it's been "bugging" me too. Get it "bugging"..."bug". Ok...maybe its just funny to me. ;)

Trail Rider said...

I don't know what you guys are talking about...
explain to me what you are seeing....
on my computer, everything is fine....