Thursday, June 23, 2005

God's mind boggling creations!




Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm a storm addict....

The first step to recovery is knowing you have a problem then recognize that there is a "higher power greater than yourself that can restore you to sanity....heaven knows that sitting on a rooftop while it's hailing is not normal. When you're the only living being standing in the middle of the street in a down pour trying not to get blown away, you know you may be a little weird. It doesn't matter the hour, the day, or what's going on around me...if there's a storm outside, I'm there! I kinda laughed at myself last night because I woke myself up right in time for the approaching storm. As it's quoted in "twister", I can be a human barometer. As long as I can remember, I have been a storm chaser. I was that little girl who would always get in trouble for looking out my window for hours staring at the lightning. My dad passed on this passion, as he would take me outside every storm and we would count the distance from light to sound. I am very proud to say that my kids are out with me every chance I can get.

My kids have certain terms for God showing off. Lightning is God's very own fireworks, followed by a drum solo. He gives us "showers" through the rain when He feels we need a "spiritual bath". White fluffy flakes of snow is to remind us of his forgiveness, and northern lights are the angels dancing over us. His wonders are truly amazing. I could never understand when there's a beautiful rainbow in the sky, people just carry on driving without giving it a second look, while I almost run my van off the road, I can't take my eyes off it!

God and me always have great talks when He's in the middle of showing off. I feel like I learn lots about him and what he's thinking when he's "expressing Himself" Two nights ago was a restlessness. Action all around. I didn't know where to look. The lightning never ceased and it came from all directions. I felt like it was a symbol that he's very busy right now, moving in all parts, getting ready for something. Getting in people's business and fixing it all up. We shall see...

I'll never never forget a storm on the year that the gay marriages were being officially voted on. I've seen many storms in my life and allot of them are routine. Spectacular, but routine. You watch the lightning approach sitting on a roof, then it starts to rain, then maybe hail, maybe a good crack or two....the lightning is usually sheet and every now and then you will see some good forks going in all directions. and if your really lucky, you'll get those real good ones that strike the ground and burn holes in your eyes. You close your eyes and the bolt is still there. But this one storm, on the night of the voting....not a breath of wind....not a drop of rain....and every bolt of lightning was a huge fork hitting the ground! It was the eeriest thing to see every strike to the ground with no rain and no wind. This "judgement storm" as I saw it, passed over this city setting many fires. The next day in the news, there was 3 or 4 houses lit on fire. Fields out of town were lit. I'll never forget the feeling in the air. God was angry. And that night I stayed up praying for our city and country.

I love God's creations. God you are so unique, creative, and all powerful. May we grow to fear and respect you in this season of change and deep growth.

3 comments:

Nin said...

Wow, awesome post. Left me speechless, got nothin else to say..
-Nin

Trail Rider said...

I was definatley one of those who wouldn't stop and enjoy God's moves of nature. You have definatley changed me that way. I look forward to sitting up on the roof with you soon.

Anonymous said...

As an ex-believer(but fellow storm lover) i am in awe of your world view. The other day I was pondering why a God would design/create tornadoes whose main function is to cause death and destruction. They terrorize and kill people! Would this creation be considered good, indeed very good? Hardly.
-Randy