Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Loving to Learn


Today, my sister and I went to the Western Development Museum with all the kids. As we went through all the little shops and houses, we were so excited to show the kids what life was like in the old days. The way they responded was probably the same way I responded when I was their age. Which was, "okay cool, can we go to the next one...okay this is neat, but can we move on...."
They couldn't appreciate that it took hours to churn butter, and there was no washing machine, no microwave. Ninette and I kept saying, "wow, look at that old phone! Look at that old stove, they had to chop wood!" "yeah yeah whatever, can we keep going please..."
Growing up, I lost my love for learning, by the time I hit highschool, I could care less about anything they were trying to teach me. After I got married, I never really cared to learn anything new either. I was quite comfortable with my "teenage vocabulary" which was like, you know, like cool, like.... Then, God called us to homeschool! What??!! Learn new things and actually be INTERESTED in it???
Over the years, God has restored my love for learning. The world God created is fascinating and needs to be rediscovered! A year ago, my mom and I went to the WDM and she walked me through every stop in boom town and explained everything! It was so cool! And we have it so easy!
God keep my mind sharp and open to learn new things, so that my kids can see the joy of discovering all you created!

4 comments:

Nin said...

God also showed me something through our trip to the museum. You know how He's been speaking to me on making things new? Well when you look up the meaning of the word "new" you'll find the word "modern". When I think of modern I think of a wordly term like, clothes, dancing, or hey, get with the times! But you know how I was showing the kids my digital camera up next to the old cameras? 'Look kids, look how much our cameras have changed' (proceded with the, yeah yeah whatever) But it's like, yeah, the cameras back then were still cameras, and they got the job done (for those times). But now, our cameras are way better, better quality and more options. God doesn't want us to stay in the same place, He wants to renew us, change us, 'modernize' us if you will, with what we need for today, as the days are always changing. "Sing to the Lord a NEW song!" How blessed are we that He would not leave us where we are, but take us to new places to learn new things!
Love ya sis,
-Nin

Trail Rider said...

Neato...
Yet another adventure that we've shared...

Nin said...

When I told Chris that we had the idea of taking them bowling or mini golfing, he laughed. I was like, what? You don't think we could handle it? Bring it on man.

Trail Rider said...

No doubt!!! I think if we told people about 80% of our adventures, they would think we were crazy! Like swimming, nature walks...just wait till you have kids....
People will think we have a daycare (if they already don't now)
LOL