Sunday, June 12, 2005

I want to be a servant



Well, Noah's birthday is over and i'll be happy to tell you that he successfully turned 6 today with no effort. However, the work and effort that Joe and I put into this ordeal was not less than extreme. We have spent 3 days preparing for the event which came and went and everyone said it was a "nice party" and "good food". We madly cleaned the house and yard only to have it messed up like nobody's business. Joe is so exhausted that he said he couldn't even talk about the issue of buying a trampoline. He said that was too heavy of a conversation.
My auntie Laurie is a wonderful host! When we go over to her house for a family gathering or a celebration, you feel totally relaxed. Not a worry in the world. You can put your feet up and enjoy the company and food. She is so willing to serve you drinks, get you a nursing blanket, let your children "go potty" in HER bathroom...all with a genuine smile to make you feel at home. She's relaxed so your relaxed. I desire to to have my company come over and feel that way. And I think we did that today. Everyone was at peace and left very satisfied. It's a process that I'm going through to become this way. There are so many times that I grumble when I know that we have company coming and I try and think of an exuse to cancel, simply because I don't want to serve. But by the grace of God and a willing heart, I will be a cheerful servant yet!

Today was fun, and it's okay that there's a mess for tomorrow. The kids and and I can whistle while we work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ain't that the truth about Auntie Laurie's hospitality! Most of us don't have that, but wished we did. It's a gift for some people and Laurie sure exercises her gift.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you are a treasure! Rest assured that everyone really enjoyed your hospitality and that you and Joe are to be commended for making us all feel welcome. Sometimes I wonder if the things I do make a "difference" -- and your comments really make me feel reassured. Don't forget that when I am hosting an event now I do not have 4 children around to "help" me. That makes a major difference! You did great!